Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Last day in the US

The last week of preparations seemed to fly by. They were mostly filled with goodbys and well wishes, with last scrambles to pack and tie up loose ends. Here is what I wrote at the airport a few days ago, unable to post until now:

Well, the day has finally arrived. And with six hours till my plane leaves, I thought I'd jot down some final thoughts.

The rest of the packing went as expected. I managed to pack all the items into a large box that met the size and weight limitations of the airline, without having to check (and pay for) separate bike panniers. One pannier, with shoulder strap, is being used as a carry on. I'll have to reassemble the bike, unpack the box, and load the panniers in the Copenhagen airport, which for Copenhagen, should not be that unusual. I've lost track of some items in the process, which is all part of the adjustment until I get things sorted out, and new patterns emerge.

The last week was filled with a lot of heartfelt goodbyes and well wishes. Thank you to everyone, especially my friends whom over the past week have gone beyond hospitality, providing delicious food, drinks, and even midnight haircuts in the driveway. Having this sort of help made a huge difference in my readiness and mental preparedness. My last drink with them was an 11 year old “world wide stout” which I thought was appropriate. Still, I'm glad I'm not hung over in the airport. Though it is cinko de mayo...

My shuttle van to the airport was all the door panel clutching you'd expect from an experienced NYC driver on a schedule. The beautiful weather and puffy white clouds was a good break from the cold bleak winter which we are emerging. Trees actually have leaved down here. I found a quiet corner of the airport, with chairs, outlet, and wifi. I made myself quite comfortable.

Oddly, and amazingly, one of the five people in the van was from Copenhagen, and after hearing of my plans, exchanged phone numbers and offered me a place to stay. Though I do have reservations at a hostel, this would be a great way get to know Copenhagen, have some guidance, and save money that would have gone towards the hostel. I honestly can't believe my luck! This is a great start such a trip! I feel like the gods are smiling on me?
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home