Saturday, August 22, 2015

Arriving at departure

The flights were pretty hectic. Changing airlines in DC required trains and buses, and a broken baggage conveyor delayed the flight overseas by nearly an hour. I felt bad for the guys throwing around bags in 90 degree heat. The flight was nearly empty and I had a whole row to myself. Some people laid down and slept. I could could not sleep, however I tried, maybe I was too excited, or maybe it was those annoying seat belt chimes that seem to get louder as the flight goes on. My late flight made me late for last connection, which was held for me as I arrived on my own bus from the terminal. It would have been really great if they managed to get my luggage on the same plane, but alas, I was left standing in the lost baggage line at Edinburgh airport. They were surprisingly kind and helpful. A strong English accent can put you at ease. I could not provide a forwarding address, but decided to stay in Edinburgh until my bags showed up.

I stayed at the same hostel again, which was cheap, but just what I needed with a good location right downtown. I bunked with a bunch of friendly Canadians. I was lucky to catch the fringe festival again, which was again a mind blowing array of performances throughout the city. I saw some stats such as 45,000 performances throughout the month at +300 venues, which generate some 250 million (pounds) for the city every year. Not bad. I saw three shows, a humerus satire on gentrification, a physic, and a comedian whom performed in the side room of a 'pub'. There were also street performers, magicians, jugglers, acrobats, drag queens, alien violinists, you never know what you'd see next. The weather was on and off, but a fine rain made it feel more authentic.

It felt good to be back. I appreciated it more. I was grateful to return, more comfortable in a city I was familiar, and more able to enjoy my surroundings while not worrying about cycling. I got a little choked up touring through old town, simply being there and embracing it all. A highlight was the military tattoo pipe bands that let out after a large event at the castle. This is as good as it gets. I recommend it for anyone who hasn't been. I checked off some famous old pubs that I missed my first time through, had some traditional food, and searched out some traditional music, and got a little lost walking home after my fourth pint. I also got to the city museum the next day before I got the call to pick up my bag at the airport. I was having a pretty good time for not planning to stay, but I felt the need to get on with it, and the next day I was on a bus to Inverness.

Inverness also was mostly how I remembered it, and I again stayed in the same hostel, where it was nice that some people remembered me. I took a double decker bus tour of the city, which was short, but set me up for an early dinner and time to do some work afterward. I ended up talking with a bunch of people at the hostel for most of the night. I also got to see my eye doctor the next day and catch up on, and perhaps close out my case. He seemed pleased and a bit relieved at my progress from when we met last. It was good to see him and the other folks at the hospital who helped me so much while I was there. I stopped at the supermarket for some fresh fruit, and caught a the next bus towards Ullapool, where I then got a ride from the bus stop to the hostel.

I was again taken back by the beauty of the scenery out the bus window, I again got choked up sometimes. It was good to see the people at the hostel again, who welcomed me in, and I think were surprised by my my gift of sweet tea Grits from South Carolina. There was reference to southwestern novels and Grits. We took some time to catch up before my stuff was pulled from storage, and everything was in good shape. I went through all my things, shook out, and aired some things on the wash line. I got rid of some expired or unnecessary things. Since I curtailed my plans to just Ireland, some of the crazier stuff like a GPS beacon, malaria medication, and water disinfection and storage equipment will not be necessary, and will be mailed home soon. The bike itself was parked happily in the garden shed along with a few other bikes. I pumped up the tires, oiled the chain, and replaced the tail light that had been broken previously. There is a bit of rust here and there, but nothing I'm really concerned about. It took it for a short test ride, and it rode smoothly. I expect to get any kinks out as I get going, hope nothing crops up. New tires are on order soon.

I decided to take a day before I started riding to simply explore the area. I was directed to Sail Mohr Mountain located just behind the hostel which ended up being a full day hike. The walking was not far or steep, but there was no trail, so I wondered through the grasses and planning my own route upwards, where I was again thwarted by some mean mountain animals with horns. Having nowhere higher to flee, they took an assertive stance at the summit, where I was OK stopping just sort of the top. There were no trees, so navigation was easy, and there were great views throughout. Walking through the grasses was slow and difficult, and there were some hidden holes boggy areas that made it a long day. I took great care not to injure myself. There really great waterfalls and swimming holes, and I'd be tempted to stay another day for these alone if the water was a bit warmer.



Now I'm back at the hostel enjoying some lentils and rice. I'll pack up gear again, and be ready to head out tomorrow morning. I've uploaded photos from today, and the tail end of last year to my flicker account for those of you who are interested.

 

1 Comments:

At August 25, 2015 at 4:08 AM , Blogger Jeremy said...

Yes! Beautiful so far...can't wait to see more. You're a confident traveler who makes the most of time. Revel in this accomplishment; making it back is a big deal and your reward for toughing it out this past year.

Be safe and talk to you soon.

Jer & Al

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home