Friday, June 6, 2014

Getting on my feet in Wurzburg

The ride to Wurzburg was very nice. There were plenty of downhills that made me feel like superman maintaining high average speeds. Google lead me a bit stray when I got lost on some dirt roads that crisscrossed agricultural fields, but I was eventually able to find my way out. The last leg of my journey lead me along a nice bike path by the Main river. It was quite busy with other bikers, people skating, walkers, etc. Steep hills with vineyards were on either side.

Since my wallet was gone, I had a limited amount of cash to live on until my replacement cards arrived. To help save money, I stayed at a no frills camp site the first three nights. I stopped at the local store and used my camping stove to make basic meals which saved me from going out to eat. One thing that was working for me was the weather; comfortably warm during the day, nice and cool at night. The campsite was within walking distance from the city, and I did some touring on foot the first three days. The most dominant spectacle of the city is the Fortress Marienberg,
which dominates the hilltop on the west side of the river. After a bit of a climb to the top, the fortress was impressive in size and complexity. It would be difficult to imagine laying siege on it, or even climbing to it in 50 lbs of armor and weaponry. Layers of steep walls surround each side, surrounded by, of course, more vineyards. There are good views of the waterway and city from the castle walls and “princes garden.”

I also checked out the city which was on par with what I've seen in other cities; busy pedestrian plazas, streetcars, and an overwhelming amount of history and architecture. I did spend some money to tour the Residence Palace of Wurzburg,
and though pictures were not allowed, there was some really amazing paintings, sculptures, and interior design in the intricate “baroque” style. The city was founded by a bishop-prince and there is a strong religious presence in the city. There are 88 churches, and church bells seem to be every 15 minutes. The church next to the hostel start at 7:00 am, making an alarm clock unnecessary. The sound of real bells so close is something of an experience itself.

I checked into the hostel where my replacement cards were being sent. They were on rush order, but I had no idea when they would arrive. Further, I had to sign for each package, so I was stuck waiting in the lobby. Fortunately I only had to wait a little over a day to get going again. Although I was never really in any hardship, it was very unsettling position. The hostel made an exception for me to pay when I checked out, which saved me cash and allowed me to eat well.

After my cars arrived, I felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders and I was finally able to relax again. I did one last day of touring in the city, and was finally able to sample some of the wine the region is famous for. I also bought a new rear tire for my bike. I stopped at the tourist info office and picked up information on the “romantic road” which I will be following south starting tomorrow morning. It feels like things are back on track again.

I've also uploaded more pictures with comments/descriptions where appropriate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home